Sunday, August 10, 2008

Grumble Grumble



Now I remember why I own a home (if only I could be there now...oh to be where everything is less than 2 years old and works as it should). The water pressure to my bathroom sink in the apartment is lousy. At best it is about 45% of what it should be; at worst it is a trickle, like in this picture. Let me tell you, it is no fun trying to rinse off a toothbrush or wash your hands when the water pressure is pretty much non-existent. I told the landlord about it 2 weeks ago, but so far he hasn't gotten back to me about it...which would be fine, if he would just FIX IT. I don't necessarily need to be informed of what the issue is; I just want the issue to be resolved. Grr.

3 comments:

Andrew J said...

Here's what I would do in this situation. Call the landlord and write them a letter stating that this issue needs to be resolved and that if it isn't resolved by "Date X" then you will hire a plumber and deduct the cost from your next rent payment. Alternatively, you could say "If it is not fixed by Date X, then for each day after that point, until it is satisfactorily fixed, I will deduct one day's rent from my next rent payment." It's easier for them to take care of it, then to try to get you to pay the amount you don't pay. Especially if you have in writing that this is a problem they haven't taken care of.

Adina said...

THIS is why you are awesome and why I love you so much. I'm so taking your advice on this one.

Anonymous said...

That's really great advice. The most straightforward way to getting the landlord to fix something. I've learned that having everything in writing gives the tenant a sense of power over the landlord. I did this when our last apartment had a pest issue and when I had a roommate problem with the apartment before that.