Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Growing pains



I was going through old photos on my computer yesterday afternoon and I came across this photo of an ornamental cabbage. Ornamental cabbages and kale hold a special place in my heart.

1) They remind me of my dad. My dad was big into decorating his porch with flowers and plants according to the season. He ALWAYS had cabbages and kale in the Fall and he ALWAYS left them out there well past their prime. By January they would be shriveled and slimy and generally gross. I liked to poke fun at him and give him a hard time about it. I miss him.

2) They're pretty and autumnal.

This particular photo was taken at our first house on Cedarcroft Road, the first house Steph and I bought together. I think I took the photo in 2006. I miss the pot in this photo. I'm fairly certain it broke during the move to Nashville.

Speaking of Nashville, I've been missing it lately. That tends to happen when I pore over old photos. We haven't been back in nearly two years. I'm not worried about the house-- I'm sure it's fine, but it would be nice to just check in before the renters move out. I'm not sure what will happen when their lease ends. I harbor this fantasy that we'll move back in, but I don't really see it happening. The most likely scenario is that we'll sell it, given that the market down there seems to have improved ever so slightly.

It's also fun to look at old photos because I can clearly see how much better my photography skills have gotten. I feel like I am kind of in a rut with that lately. I know I should be taking pictures every day, but I haven't been. Life has sort of gotten in the way. Not like that is a good excuse. You need to make time in your life for the people and things that are important to you.

I'm considering moving my blog to Wordpress. I want more control and it seems like an overall better platform. Just something I've been learning and working on and will probably happen in the next few months or so if I can get my act together. I feel like I've outgrown Blogger and need more creative control over all the design elements of my little blog.

Wow, this post is all over the place.

No comments: