Sunday, August 22, 2010

A night in the city





Every time we go to Washington D.C., I think, "Hmm, it's rather nice here, but I could never live here". I don't think I am a city kid. I enjoy VISITING cities, but I prefer to live on the fringes of a city or in a rural area. My dream is to own a farm and have lots of goats, sheep, and cats. In my dream vision of my life, I make goat cheese and honey, and spend my days pickling, canning, and baking bread. I digress...

So we spent a night in D.C. last week. I had been itching to spend the night in a hotel, so the change in locale was most welcome. About three times a year I get an urge to take a long bath, and a hotel is the perfect place to do so. We got a great last minute deal via Tablet Hotels. If you like to stay in boutique hotels as opposed to the big chains, I strongly suggest that you check out Tablet. We got a free upgrade, 4 free bottles of water, and a 4pm checkout because we are Tablet Plus members.

I loved the hotel. It had a mid-century aesthetic, which always makes me swoon. The view of Thomas Circle was amazing. The location is fairly central and we were able to easily walk everywhere we wanted to go. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in and the Frette linens were divine. That said, this is a hotel for the younger set. The bed is a low platform bed (which I generally prefer), the lobby plays techno music, and the lighting in the rooms is quite dim. For us though, it was perfect.

We took advantage of Restaurant Week and had dinner at Siroc. We both thoroughly enjoyed our meals, especially the house-made pasta and the poached pear. I experienced some sticker shock over a $10 Hendricks & tonic I had ordered, but I suppose that is to be expected in a large city. Next time I'll just stick to tap water.

The next day, we met my parents for breakfast at Founding Farmer's, and then went back to the hotel to hang out (and Steph had to work remotely for a few hours). When it came time for lunch, we went on a tour of the D.C. food trucks, which I will discuss in my next post.

Pictures from the hotel, all taken with my iPhone.

No comments: