Saturday, March 31, 2007

Aquilegia canadensis



Today we went to Cheekwood Botanical Gardens in Belle Meade (suburb of Nashville). For those of you who know me fairly well, you know that this is my idea of utopia. I took over 400 pictures and we only spent 3 hours there because Steph had a salon appointment at 2pm. I could have wandered around all day. I think we should become members so we can go all the time.

I especially loved the native plants gardens. I love wildflowers, especially woodland ones. There is just something so wonderful about meandering through the woods and seeing a small flower sticking up out of the dead leaves around it. Rows of brightly colored tulips are pretty in their own right, but there is something about the simple beauty of wildflowers that just gets me.

This is a picture of Wild Columbine (Aquilegia canadensis). Columbine is Steph's favorite flower. We planted some in our front beds this year and had a ton at the old house.

2 comments:

Andrew J said...

I love columbines!

Chad and I went to the Morris Arboretum today and took a bunch of photos. I didn't quite get to 400 (more like 130). You can check out some of them at: http://flickr.com/photos/andrewjoslyn

Hopefully it'll be nice when you guys visit so we can go there. We have a membership and it is great.

Andrew J said...

For some reason there was no link. Here is one you can actually click on:
http://flickr.com/photos/andrewjoslyn